Skip to content
Customer Service – Fire Hydrant Conditions of ServiceShannon Whitehead2020-11-18T16:46:03-07:00
Conditions of Service
Please read the conditions of service below.
- Abide by all laws, ordinances, rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and conditions related to use of fire hydrants and the Water Utility water supply and accept full responsibility for any and all violations of the ABCWUA Water and Sewer Rate Ordinance or these permit conditions of service committed by me, my designated agents, or my employees. Copies of the Water and Sewer Rate Ordinance are available upon request by calling (505) 289-3066 or may be viewed and downloaded here.
- Keep the approved permit, or a legible and accurate photocopy of the permit with the meter at all times. No exceptions will be made. If a permit is not available at the time of inspection, the meter shall be subject to confiscation and all pertinent penalties will be applied to my account.
- Use only fire hydrant meters permitted and issued by the Water Authority on fire hydrants designated by the Water Authority as available for use and approved for use under this permit. I understand that failure to comply with this condition will subject me to additional penalties being assessed to my account and may result in termination of this permit and any other of my fire hydrant meter permits, and that unauthorized use of a fire hydrant meter or fire hydrant constitutes Water Theft and/or Tampering which is a criminal offense with a penalty of up to $500.00 and/or 90 days in jail.
- Pay monthly water usage charges and all other applicable charges on or before the due date. I understand that failure to remit payment in full for all water withdrawn on a monthly basis shall result in a $50.00 late payment fee per occurrence, and shall be cause for confiscation of the meter and termination of my permit.
- Turn in the permit and meter on or before the permit expiration date. I understand that I will be considered in possession of stolen property and subject to criminal charges if I have not returned the meter within 15 days following the permit expiration or termination
- Submit a true and correct meter reading, in writing by mail, fax, or email, to Customer Services between the 1st day and the 10th day of the month for water usage during the previous calendar month. I understand that failure to submit meter readings between the first (1st) and tenth (10th) day of the month for water usage during the previous calendar month, regardless of whether any water usage occurred during that month, shall result in a $20.00 late meter reading fee per occurrence, and that failure to report meter readings on or before the last day of the month the readings are due shall result in immediate termination of my permit, and that any falsification of records or attempt to defraud the Water Utility constitutes Water Theft and/or Tampering which may subject me to criminal charges.
- Make every reasonable effort to ensure that the meter is functioning correctly. I understand that knowingly using a faulty or non-functioning meter constitutes Water Theft and/or Tampering and may subject me to criminal charges.
- Pay all service charges, consumption charges, and penalties incurred until the meter and my permit are returned, whether or not my permit is valid.
- Forfeit the $3,000 deposit for any meter lost, stolen or rendered irreparable, or have a portion of my deposit withheld to cover actual Water Utility expenses to repair damages to the meter, including wear and tear.
- Pay a charge up to $1,000 for unaccounted for water usage from a lost, stolen, or damaged meter.
- Utilize a backflow prevention method or device acceptable to the Water Authority at all times the meter is in use to protect the Water Utility water supply. Failure to use an acceptable backflow prevention method or device could result in confiscation of the meter and termination of the permit.
- Provide the location of the hydrant where the meter is being used and agree to have the meter available for inspection at any time and immediately upon request by Water Authority personnel.
- Not use any water taken from a fire hydrant for domestic, potable, or recreational uses including swimming pools and not use any of the water withdrawn for any purposes outside of the Water Authority service area.
- Not resell any water taken from a fire hydrant.
- Acknowledge that any violations of these conditions may result in termination of this permit, and that the Water Authority reserves the right to refuse to issue any new permits if any of my Water Authority accounts are not in good standing.